Los Angeles, CA
Political News, Media, Engineering
TYT is the largest online news and talk network for the connected generation. The award-winning TYT is one of the top multi-platform online content creators, generating over 200 million views a month. According to the most recent comScore ratings, TYT ranks #1 in News and Politics on all digital platforms among the millennial audience (18-24).
The Young Turks won the Audience Honor for Overall YouTube Presence in the 2018 Shorty Awards and the Webby People’s Voice Award for News and Politics - Series. In 2017, The Young Turks received best in News and Culture at the 7th Annual Streamy Awards, won the 21st Annual People’s Voice Webby Award for Online Film & Video - News & Politics series, and was also recognized with the Audience Honor at the 10th Annual Shorty Awards under Overall YouTube Presence. The Young Turks was awarded the Imagen Vision Award and the Vote It Loud Fifth Estate: Champion in Media Award for Best in New Media in 2016. In 2015, The Young Turks was named to Variety’s FameChangers List (No. 7) and The Hollywood Reporter’s Next Gen List (No. 1 in the News category).
Host Cenk Uygur was named one of the 25 Most Influential People in Political News, according to Mediaite. Co-Host Ana Kasparian was named to the 2016 Forbes 30 Under 30 Media List and The Daily Dot’s 20 Women of YouTube list.
In 2018, TYT launched a 24-hour channel on YouTube TV. TYT includes more than a dozen owned and operated and partner shows such as The Young Turks, #NoFilter, The Damage Report, We the People with Nina Turner, Pitchfork Economics with Nick Hanauer, TYT Investigates, Happy Half Hour, and more. Please visit TYT.COM for more information.
As part of our engineering team, you will help to extend, maintain and improve TYT.com and related owned-and-operated web applications. As we expand our presence on the web, you will be responsible for setting up new greenfield projects to accomplish our business goals. You will work with our backend engineers to design REST APIs, and use them to build and deploy new features. You will learn how our backend infrastructure works to help you better build our user-facing products. You will work to reproduce, diagnose, debug and fix issues with our web apps as they arise. We are looking for someone with strong experience who can be the primary engineer for work on TYT.com and its surrounding web apps while working with a team of software engineers with diverse skillsets. As part of the process of delivering new functionality to TYT.com, you will coordinate the workflow between our graphical designer, our product designer, and yourself.
Good candidates for this role will have solid proficiency with the following skills:
- Building and maintaining apps written with Angular 6+, including deep knowledge of best practices for the framework based on extensive work experience
- Proficiency with TypeScript, ES6+, HTML5 and Web Platform APIs
- Familiarity with server-side rendering and its constraints
- Familiarity with service worker
- Professional, precise communication skills
- Creating well organized, self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components
- Ensuring a clear dependency chain, in regard to the app logic as well as the file system
- Familiarity with best practices for SEO and analytics solutions for single page apps (SPAs)
- Ability to leverage strong knowledge of CSS and JS to build performant visual effects which maintain smooth, jank-free 60fps animation
- Thorough understanding of the responsibilities of the platform, database, API, caching layer, proxies, and other web services used in the overall system
- Validating user actions on the client side and providing responsive feedback
- Writing and working with asynchronous code, and resorting to advanced techniques such as multi-threading, web workers and/or worklets when needed
- Creating custom, general use modules and components which extend the elements and modules of core Angular 6+
- Experience building with standard web APIs including XHR, fetch(), HTML5 audio/video, and vanilla DOM operations when required
- Experience with building the infrastructure for serving the front-end app and its assets
- Familiarity with building and maintaining build/test processes for production delivery using modern continuous integration and deployment pipelines
- A strong habit of inline documentation to help build maintainable codebases
- Proficiency with unit testing methodology, including the principles of dependency injection, mocks, and fixtures
- Experience building and maintaining end-to-end/integration test suites using Protractor (or an equivalent alternative)
- Enhancement and maintenance of TYT owned-and-operated products, primarily tyt.com and underlying platforms
- Experience with Ruby on Rails backends is a big plus
BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Equal Opportunity Employer: TYT is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume to [email protected] with the subject line 'Engineering 2019'back