Manager, Studio Engineering
Los Angeles, CA
Online Media, Political News, Broadcast
As the Manager of Studio Engineering you will be responsible for the planning and seamless execution of the broadcast technologies required to support all in-studio and remote productions. You will evaluate current and future broadcast engineering technologies and workflows. You will manage Broadcast Engineering and IT to deploy solutions to ensure TYT’s content reaches its audiences. You will also work collaboratively with studio operations to maintain and operate software, hardware and workflows within our broadcast and network infrastructure. The Manager of Studio Engineering will be responsible for the day-to-day uptime for our livestreams and linear operations as well as work with our managed IT vendor to keep systems working properly for staff. Finally, they should keep their ear to the ground for new and emerging technologies, working with and managing vendor relationships as needed, that could improve the current broadcast and network infrastructure.
- Manage broadcasting engineering systems and processes (e.g., servers, content management, monitoring booth, post-production workflows, content distribution technologies) to ensure daily broadcasting needs are met.
- Triage and resolve issues as needed in collaboration cross-departmentally as well as with external vendors when required.
- Ensure successful preparation and execution of broadcast systems and infrastructure to support all broadcasting needs - live, non-live, in-studio, remote/home studio, field events and potential new studio broadcasting needs
- Prepare, seek approval for, and manage budgets for the Broadcast Operations and Engineering department, and in coordination with the Studio Operations team, including long-term planning.
- Manage linear / OTT distribution, including the delivery of VOD and the maintenance of uptime for all linear channels and related ad insertion technologies.
- Coordinate closely with all Platform Managers to ensure that technology is meeting the demands for growing audiences on all platforms
- Manage staff and coordinate closely with Stream Operators and the broader Studio & Field Operations team to ensure clear processes and workflows are established and successfully executed for all broadcasts.
- Participate in the company’s evaluation of new business partnerships and initiatives by assessing broadcast operations & engineering requirements and opportunities, defining requirements and recommending / deploying new solutions as needed.
- Assist with evaluating and recommending broadcasting improvements pertaining to emerging technology, technical vendors, and automation.
- Manage day-to-day vendor relationship with IT management company to oversee the proper functioning of the company’s Broadcast and User infrastructure network.
- Manage the onboarding of new platforms for Live and VOD distribution as needed, and in coordination with the Product & Engineering and other teams.
- Oversee maintenance of workflow documentation pertaining to video and live streaming and other broadcast functions.
- Identify and implement efficiencies and best practices in collaboration with the Product & Engineering, Studio Operations, Programming and Distribution teams (e.g., automated systems for content delivery)
- 5+ years of experience with audio and video technology as well as managing those with high levels of expertise in video and audio technologies
- 2 years of experience in IT Administration or an equivalent technical field is highly preferred
- Possess a strong understanding of linear broadcast technologies, broadcast signal types, audio and video formats, sync and timecode, and signal flow
- Understanding of video and audio production - Cameras, lighting, video switchers, audio mixers, recording equipment, and video playback and recording
- Understanding of and experience with Telestream’s Vantage system a plus
- Experience with audio and video routing - digital and analog routable systems and ethernet internet systems
- Proficiency in operating software and hardware encoders and decoders
- Knowledge of live streaming protocols
- Experience and know-how to support extensive troubleshooting
- Capacity to work closely with others and get along well in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to effectively manage direct staff, guide the work of others who do not report directly, and manage the performance of vendors.
- Ability to operate under pressure
- Understanding of The Young Turks’ content, audience and run of show a plus
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
TYT is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To learn more about this position, please submit questions and your resume to [email protected]. Be sure to include the position title “Manager, Studio Engineering” in the subject line of your email.back